How Assemblies Of God Minister, 4 others die mysteriously


After consuming suya and fruit drinks, Sunday Ugba, a deacon in the Assemblies of God Church and at least four others died mysteriously after allegedly consumimg suya and fruit juice.

As a result, Abia State Government has appealed for calm over the deaths, as the only survivor from the incident, the first daughter of the deceased, UgbaI, Ieoma, said she ate the suya but she did not take the juice.

It was learnt that his wife was rushed unconscious to the Federal Medical Centre, Umuahia, Abia State, where she is currently receiving medical treatment.

Reacting to the incident in a statement issued in Umuahia on Tuesday, the Commissioner for Information, Okiyi Kalu, advised relatives of the deceased to remain calm.

Kalu stated that government had contacted relevant agencies to investigate the death.

“We wish to call for calm and patience to enable the relevant medical authorities to properly determine the cause of the death of the seven persons,” he stated.

Meanwhile, spokesman for the police command in Abia Geoffrey Ogbonna said the command had “commenced investigation into the sad incident.”

Ogbonna, however, disclosed that no arrest had been made. He appealed to the public, especially relatives and friends of the deceased, to assist the command with useful information to get to the root of the death.

Ugba and six others were found dead on Monday morning in his home at Umueze Ibeku in Umuahia after taking suya with fruit juice few days.

The only survivor in the family and first daughter of the deceased, Ijeoma, said she ate the suya but she did not take the juice.

Ms Ijeoma, who said she did not suffer any ill health, told journalists that her father and others that took the suya and fruit drink began to experience “serious stomach pain” shortly after.

“Barely one hour after taking the suya and juice, they started feeling serious stomach pains. There was a serious commotion in the house as everybody began to roll on the ground, crying for help,” said Ms Ijeoma. “But after about 30 minutes, there was calm. Everybody seemed to have regained themselves.”

She added, “Around 10:00 p.m., we all retired to sleep. Unfortunately, in the morning, I woke up to see the lifeless bodies of my dad and brothers and the four children on holiday in our house.”